Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Zwischenraum: the space between things

Hot Rod Lincoln Car Jump gave me exactly what I expected, but, half-listening and not watching, it revealed itself as a lightning-fast evisceration of the soul. "Powers was lucky: He'd broken his back." is a vivisection. "Did I make it? Is everyone pleased?" This is a man living a life of noisy desperation. He didn't make it across the river, but I'm sure he got there in the end.



I can't remember the first time I saw this image. I don't know where it is in the world, where in the world it is. It's in the rolodex next to Tamara de Limpicka's Le Turban Vert as pieces that I must see in the real: how rosy are her cheeks; which green. Duchamp is purported to have joked that a painting's most important element is its title: I keep thinking, she's right-handed.


If you're going to be into one Vietnamese feminist post-documentarian, Trihn Mihn-ha is a pretty safe bet in my book.





RTPTV:
I make all these faces.


This is better than any antidepressant.

Young Sonny Rollins. 'Nuff said.


Just listen.





I remember hearing about an experiment centered around a group of chimpanzees. The chimps were well-treated and well-fed, with the exception of a banana bunch just out of reach that was forbidden. If the apes went for the bananas above them, they got the hose. Eventually the group learned that the taste of those fruits are forever to be a forbidden knowledge. It was an insoluble constant. After the establishment of this status quo, some apes were swapped out. The new apes immediately went for the bananas and everyone got the hose. After some time, new apes were exchanged into the group. The new apes went for the bananas, but the group stopped them because 'we don't eat those bananas.' This process continued until a time when new apes were introduced to the group and the others prevented them from eating the verboten bananas even though none of the apes had ever been sprayed with the hose; it was tradition.


I want to be friends with her.


Again with the antidepressants...

Again with the just listen.

This is one of my favorite christmas songs.



Madame Yevonde's series of socialites as goddessess is a pocket favorite.

Peoples is peoples.

Emma Hartvig has a great eye. I feel a similarity in the dreaminess of Liliroze.


Mr. Steve McCurry


The Ashaninka will outlive us all.


I saw Eugene Von Bruenchenhein's work at the Intuit Center. I like to go there on the weekends because you can usually get a guided tour. This visit, Sarah the guide let me into Harvey Darger's apartment (which they've reconstructed on the site). I touched his wallpaper.



No comments:

Post a Comment