Monday, February 1, 2010

Loaned Boot Horn

I'm doing a turn for more along the lines of Gang of Fours debut: ENTERTAINMENT!
This is from Ukraine's Got Talent. This may, for some, automatically brings to mind bad borat benny hill tricks-with-a-donkey scenarios: and we're better for Simon Cowell and Susan Boyle?

I'm doing this post on a blank computer without any of my bookmarks; follow the breadcrumbs...
Japanese Bridal Catalogues.


from there, I became friends with the ballerina project on facebook while listening to RZA as Bobby Digital on Stereo.


I wrote a paper in college comparing the experience of puberty to the role of the monster in any of the Universal creature features of the '50s; both overwhelmed by uncontrollable urges which conspire with society to destroy the individual with little nothing romantic about it. I caught Nosferatu the first time on late night tv at about age 12. Our PBS would drop awesome classic horror flicks at an age when Jules Verne owned my worldview, eating Sherlock Holmes stories like candies. The theme to Nosferatu still grabs my ears, and it's in public domain, to boot.


and because that movie gives me the creeps and makes me feel like I heard something skitter across nearby linoleum, the Ratboy movie. It was directed by Sondra Locke, who dated Clint Eastwood and and appeared in lots of his flicks as The Girl. Any Which Way But Loose was an incredibly important movie to me and its soundtrack was the only tape in my Dad's van for Yeeeears. I still know all the words, and its sound is so my comfort food... Particularly, Orangutan Hall of Fame.


My friend Catfish got so excited once when he'd met a girl whose favorite movie was Ratboy. Vinyl on Demand has released Die Große Untergangsshow aka Festival der Genialen Dilletanten. This the whole 80s-Berlin-proto-post-punk scene. I know it's in German, but I find an emotional commonality between this and No New York's punchier bits. It's easy for me to pay attention to Blixa Bargeld. He's like Klaus Kinski to me.


They used to be such big tough guys and now they're lovely pop; the awesome awesome video overcomes any lachrymose sentimentality; that, and the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment